Business Research Case Study
Part 1: Business Research Case Study
Weighting = 80% mark
Word Limit: 4000 words (+/- 10%)
Part 2: Reflective Journal
Weighting = 20% mark
Word Limit: 1000 words (+/- 10%)
OVERVIEW OF THE MODULE / MODULE AIMS
The module is designed to enable students to apply secondary research and a range of business and organisational analysis techniques to a particular business
or organisation within the context of a case study.
INTRODUCTION TO THE MODULE
The aim of the module is to provide students with the ability to analyse and interpret the key operational features of a chosen organisation and to
critically evaluate its performance. It also provides an opportunity to reflect those aspects of learning which will enhance employability through the application of
business analytical skills. A range of business management perspectives will be applied including organisational issues, strategy and resource use. Students will be
encouraged to make links between these various aspects and their own specialism or to integrate the various perspectives to produce a holistic analysis. Accordingly
students will apply their knowledge in marketing, finance, human resources and the business environment to produce a well researched and cogent evaluation of the
business/organisation in its operational context and make informed recommendations for improved performance.
Module Learning Outcomes
1. Apply case study methods to interpret a business/organisation
2. Research and evaluate the performance of an organisation in its business environment
3. Make recommendations about operational performance based on research and evaluation of data
4. Produce a reflective journal which reflects upon professional, academic and employability skills
Business Research Case Study task (module learning outcomes 1, 2 and 3):
Using secondary sources produce a Business Research Case Study on a topic relevant to your degree specialism.
The research topic: The corporate management strategy of Unilever
There are three problems/issues that are relevant to that organization and should be employed for your case study:
1. To what extent does the literature argue that there is link between organisational strategic management and their organisational performance in Unilever?
2. What strategic management is adopted by managers in Unilever(or is available in Unilever before 2015)?
3. What lessons can be learnt from Unilever in relation to corporate strategic management?
Your assignment should include:
1. A summary of the topic to be covered. The topic should focus on an issue or problem that you have identified the organisation needs to address.
2. A literature review which critically examines the topic you have chosen to address.
3. A short introduction to the background of the organisation you have chosen to study and its environment.
4. An critical evaluation of secondary data in relation to the issue or problem that you have identified within the case study organisation
5. Recommendations for improvements in the case study organisationbased on your literature review and your secondary data
Reflective Journal tasks (module learning outcomes 4):
Read a minimum of 5 journal articles and 5 text books which are relevant to the literature review for your Business Research Case Study topic. Summarise them into key
themes and outline the skills you have gained in completing this task.**
Identify a minimum of 6 secondary data sources about your chosen organisation which are relevant to your Business Research Case Study topic. Identify the strengths and
weaknesses of the secondary data sources and outline the skills that you have gained in completing the task.****
Using literature sources, critically evaluate ONE research skill that you need to improve. Explain how you will develop this skill.
**It is expected that these articles, text books and secondary data sources are utilised in your Business Research Case Study.
****You should include the titles in your list of references, highlighting the ones you have utilised in your reflective journal.
Assignment Structure Guide
1. Abstract/executive summary. A synopsis of the issue or problem that you have identified your chosen organisation needs to address, including a brief summary of
the content of your assignment. Here you can include the key research questions [in bullet points] that you will address in your essay. 200-250 words
2. Introduction. A short background to the organisation you have chosen to study and its environment. You can include plan of essay’s structure. 250-300 words
3. Literature review. A critical examination of the topic you have chosen to address, based on your research of authoritative sources (journal articles, text
books, news, etc). 1300-1500 words please focus on corporate of strategy management
4. Critical evaluation. Evaluate your secondary data in relation to the issue or problem that you have identified within your chosen organisation. 1400-1600 words
Please focus on corporate of strategy management in Unilever
5. Recommendations. How your chosen organisation could improve its operational performance based on your research. 450-350 words
6. Reflective journal. To reflect upon your professional, academic and employability skills.
7. References. Using Harvard referencing system, a list of your academic sources in alphabetical order. 30
8. Appendices. You can include in appendices any additional information i.e. annual accounts, diagrams/ charts/tables/graphs or any visual image.
RESOURCES – KEY TEXTS
AUTHOR YEAR TITLE (including format if not books e.g. journal, CD-ROM, video) PUBLISHER
Ellett, W.C. 2007 The Case Study Handbook: How to Read, Discuss, and Write Persuasively About Cases Harvard Business School Press.
Finlay, P. 2009 Strategic Management, London: Prentice Hall
Hill, C.W.L. & Jones, G.R. 2006 Corporate Strategy, an Integrated Approach New York: Houghton Mifflin
Lynch, R. 2010 Corporate Strategy London: Pitman
Gomm, R., Hammersley, M. & Foster P. 2000 Case Study Method: Key Issues, Key Texts London: Sage.
Thomas, G. 2010 How to do your Case Study: A Guide for Students and Researchers London: Sage
Yin, R.K. 2008 Case Study Research: Design and Methods. 4th ed. London: Sage
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT ?
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.