NAME: ___________________ DATE: ________________Score:______________
WEEK: 6 Case Scenario (SPRING 2015) Respiratory Failure (RF)
Arthur M., a 57-year-old morbidly obese male, has just been transferred to the Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) from the post-op recovery room following bariatric surgery. The recovery room nurse informs you that Mr. M. self-extubated and the decision was made by the physician to allow him to remain extubated. He is awake but very drowsy and is currently receiving oxygen 5 LPM via face mask (FM).
Past Medical History: hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and of sleep apnea with a cpap machine used at home. He quit smoking 2 years ago following a 26 year history of smoking 1 1/2 pack of cigarettes a day.
Current Medications: hydrochlorothiazide, glucovance, and oxygen at night with is cpap machine.
Vital Signs and ABG upon admission to the SICU:
RR 10 breaths/min
HR 86 bpm
SpO2 92% 5/L FM
Temp 96.2 oral
PaO2 94 mm Hg
PaCO2 42 mm Hg
HCO3 26 mEp/L
Content: Wagner and Hardin-Pierce (2014): Chapters 6 and 33
1. What risk factors does Mr. M have that decreases his oxygen consumption and places him at risk for respiratory failure? Explain the rationale for each risk factor. (1. point)
2. In your report from the recovery room nurse, you remember that Mr. M extubated himself too early and he is still drowsy at this time. In your post extubation follow up assessment, what will you pay particular attention to? (.75 points)
Scenario Continued: You have been monitoring Mr. M for 8 hours now and he is starting to show signs of respiratory deterioration including extreme somnolence. You call the physician to report the following vital signs and he orders: ABGs and PFTs: The results are as follows:
RR 38 shallow and labored
Temp 97 oral
PaO2 55 mm Hg
PaCO2 55 mm Hg
HCO3 26 mEq/L
Respiratory rate (f) 38 breaths/min
Vital capacity (VC) 12 mL/kg
Maximum inspiratory pressure (MIP) -14 cm H2O
3. Interpret the ABGs. (1 point)
4. What is acute ventilatory failure (AVF), how is it diagnosed? What are the criteria for ventilatory support and what are Mr. M’s critical values that meet this criteria?(1.25 points)
5. The physician tells you that he wants to use an endotracheal tube for intubation. You grab all the supplies, the physician successfully intubates Mr. M., and now you are performing your post intubation assessment. Explain what will be included in this assessment. (1 point)
Mr. M. has been sedated on a propofol drip and the physician has ordered the settings below.
Tidal Volume 500 mL
Fio2 0.40 or 40%
PEEP 5 cm
Ventilation Mode: PRVC Setting Only
Respiratory Rate 12 Breaths/min
6. Please explain (thoroughly) Tidal Volume, Fio2, and PEEP. (1 point)
7. Mr. M. is at high risk for ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP). Explain, in detail, what this is, how it happens, and what measures can be taken to prevent VAP? (.75 points)
8. What interventions will you perform to prevent common complications of mechanical ventilation? (1.25 point)
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.