More than 10,000 bills are introduced every year in Congress. Yet fewer than 400 are generally passed into law. In 2013, Congress approved just 55 laws and was the least productive group of legislatures in modern history. The House and Senate have spent about 36 hours per week in session, yet they passed one law on average each week. Many of these laws have been relatively inconsequential – bridges and hospitals have been named and old laws renewed. Congress has become dysfunctional. In part, this suggests that under the American political system, it is far easier to kill a proposed bill than to get one passed.
Describe the various ways a bill can be killed. Given that so few bills introduced to Congress each year are actually passed, do you think that Congress’ rules should be changed to make it more difficult to defeat a bill? Be sure to justify your position with relevant supporting information.
Explain many of the ways in which a bill can be defeated:
• After being introduced and referred to committee, the committee or subcommittee chair can refuse to schedule hearings on the bill. Even if hearings are held, the committee chair can refuse to schedule a vote on the bill or decline to report on the bill, which means the bill will never leave committee. The vast majority of bills defeated in Congress every year are killed in committee.
• Complicated bills may be referred simultaneously to multiple committees, increasing the likelihood that the bill would die in committee.
• In the House, the Rules Committee can decline to grant a bill a rule. If the House Rules Committee does not set the rules for debating a bill in the House, that bill will not go to the floor for a vote. Even if it schedules a bill, it can create rules intended to disadvantage the bill, making it less likely to pass.
• In the Senate, the Majority leader can similarly decline to schedule the consideration of a bill in the Senate. The minority party can also prevent the Senate from considering a bill by denying unanimous consent, which is required under Senate rules.
• In the Senate, individual senators can issue a hold to prevent consideration of any bill. A senator can also filibuster, keeping a bill from the floor to prevent the Senate from considering and voting on a bill. Ending a filibuster (through a process called cloture) requires 60 votes.
• Even after a bill is passed by both chambers, it can be defeated in conference committee. The leadership of the House or the Senate could decline to name members to fill the Conference Committee. Or the Conference Committee could fail to come to agreement and reconcile competing House and Senate versions of the bill.
• If the Conference Committee comes up with a report (the final version of a bill), the House or the Senate could again refuse to schedule a vote on the report.
• Once the bill is passed by Congress, the President can veto legislation. Sometimes even the threat of presidential veto is sufficient to defeat a bill in Congress.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT ?
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.