Possible Thesis Statements for Paper 1—Choose one and write 500-750 words. Find evidence in the text to support the thesis and offer a conclusion detailing the importance and implications of your reading.
The Song of Songs
1. Many passages in Deuteronomy (The Old Testament) regulate the proper sexual relationship between members of the Hebrew society. In some ways, the characters in The Song of Songs act contrary to these laws. Indeed, desire itself seems to represent a higher law for the Shulamite and her lover. Explain how.
2. The Hebrew society of the Song of Songs is a strict one, where it comes to sexual transgressions. The Shulamite’s run-in with the guardsmen, who beat her and tear off her shawl, is indicative of this fact as are the many strictures detailed in Deuteronomy. The impulse on the part of the characters that drives them towards these transgressions might have the function of social commentary. Explain how.
3. The Shulamite seems trapped between her desire and her reasoning. She warns the ‘Daughters of Jerusalem’ not to awaken love before it is ready, indicating that she believes she has done just that. Yet, the poem is a celebration of this awakening. Importantly, the sexual awakening of the man in the poem is muted and does not seem to be the focus. The awakening signifies both the sexual awakening of the Shulamite as a defined object of desire, and the potential this sexual awakening has to destabilize society. Explain how.
4. While some aspects of the poem might seem critical of society of the period, the use of metaphorical language engages essential aspects of an agrarian society. Indeed, the use of that language suggests an attempt to interweave the traditional agrarian society and human sexuality into one worldview, critiquing restrictions on sexuality as alienating man from his world. Explain how.
5. Many aspects of the poem suggest a questioning of the patriarchal society. Explain.
1. Love is the central theme of The Symposium. However, the relationship between the physical and
spiritual aspects of love varies from speaker to speaker. Another division is that between the social
practicality of sexual relationships and the metaphysical aspects of them. Explain.
2. Diotima is one of two women mentioned in The Symposium. She has an experience vast enough as to
warrant a conversation with the preeminent thinker of the Athenian era: Socrates. That implies that female knowledge, especially when it concerns the mysterious realm of emotion and love, was as important if not more important than masculine knowledge. Explain.
3. Alcibiades speech, which finishes the discussion at the symposium, is intended to highlight the manner in which Socrates lives by the very concepts he has developed in his speech. Explain.
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.