the question is as following:
Produce an essay addressing the following question:
“The spread of convenience of ‘fast’ food across the world and associated health concerns such as obesity, heart disease and diabetes, have led to calls for consumers to reduce the amount of this type of food they eat.
How could the excise system be used to help Government implement a policy which reduced people’s fast food consumption?”
purpose of the assignment:
To gauge the student’s level of understanding of how Government’s are now beginning to use excise taxation to help implement policy objectives far wider than just raising revenue.
You will be assessed on:
• Your understanding of how excise is being used or can be used to implement other Government objectives – particularly consumption related
• Evidence of your research (including research of electronically available information);
• Your analytical skills and your ability to marshal relevant evidence to support an argument that is logically structured and the structure of your answer.
• Presentation, format & professional/academic quality including your written expression, spelling & grammar.
the proposed structure for the assignment is:
– Concerns of the ‘fast’ food industry across the world
– Why it is so?
o Medical concerns: obesity, heart disease and diabetes
o Empirical evidence in support
o What are the legal articles in the international laws, domestic laws
– Medical suggestions on individuals health advised to reduce fast food consumption
– Excises – how it is used in current systems
o Gov. revenue
o To capitalise on certain goods and licenses
o Benefits of excise system if any?
o Negatives of excise system if any?
• Its overuse by government
• Ability to be placed on anything
– Proposed use on ‘fast’ food
o Examples of approaches used in an international context (case studies)
o Its benefits or disadvantages
o How it affected empirical medical data
– Practical applications
o Who would regulate such a thing
o Who would revenue collected go to? and how the regulator follow-up the distribution of the revenue
o Benefits if such a system were implemented
o Ideological or socio-political contention
• Why has nothing like it been implemented yet? And if there is one how it works?
• Parties at play to its promotion v opposition
• Any other ramifications it may have on an economy or national system
– Reaffirm your position
– Is it a realistic policy implementation?
– Bringing it all together