Pyschology Mid Term
THIS EXAM IS DUE – DROP DEAD DUE – BY MIDNIGHT ON 6/28… (End of the day Saturday). BECAUSE OF THE ENORMOUS NUMBER OF STUDENTS IN THIS CLASS, AND THE GENEROUS WINDOW PROVIDED BY THE INSTRUCTOR FOR TAKING AND TURNING IN THE EXAM, ANY EXAM RECEIVED AFTER MIDNIGHT ON THAT DATE WILL RECEIVE A GRADE OF ZERO POINTS.
THE EXAM IS AVAILABLE IN WORD, WORD PERFECT, AND PDF. I ALSO HAVE OPEN OFFICE AND OTHER PROGRAMS IF YOU NEED A DOCUMENT CREATED IN ONE OF THESE JUST LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED A DIFFERENT VERSION. IF YOU DOWNLOAD THE TEST IN WORD, WORD PERFECT, YOU SHOULD TYPE YOUR ANSWERS TO THE FILL-INS DIRECTLY IN TO THE EXAM DOCUMENT, ADD PAGES TO THE END FOR YOUR ESSAY, AND RETURN IT TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR IN PERSON OR BY EMAIL. DO NOT SENT THE ESSAY AHEAD OF OR SEPARATE FROM YOUR FILL INS. IF YOU EMAIL THE TEST BACK MAKE SURE THAT YOUR LAST NAME IS PART OF THE FILENAME WHEN YOU UPLOAD YOUR TEST TO ME LIKE THIS “JOESMITHMIDTERMPSYCH1” IF YOU DOWNLOAD IT IN PDF, YOU MUST PRINT IT OUT AND WRITE IN YOUR ANSWERS, AND ADD THE ESSAYS PHYSICALLY ON PAPER., AND YOU MUST FAX YOUR EXAM TO 17073134583.
DO NOT WRITE YOUR EXAM ANSWERS INTO AN ACTUAL EMAIL. I WILL LOSE TRACK OF IT AND YOU WILL RECEIVE A ZERO. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. IF YOU ARE HAVING A PROBLEM USING MY DOCUMENT OR CREATING ONE OF YOUR OWN, CONSULT WITH ME BEFORE TAKING ANY ACTION.
ANY EXAM SUBMITTED WITHOUT THE REQUIRED ESSAY WILL RECEIVE A GRADE OF ZERO. ANY EXAM SENT IN “PIECES” (FILL-INS AND ESSAYS IN SEPARATE FILES) WILL BE REFUSED.
YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO HELP EACH OTHER FIND ANSWERS. YOUR ESSAYS SHOULD BE LONG ENOUGH TO SHOW ME YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BUT AT ANY RATE AT LEAST ONE AND ONE HALF PAGES IN LENGTH, DOUBLE-SPACED. EVIDENCE OF PLAGIARISM FROM OTHER STUDENTS OR WEBSITES WILL BE CONSEQUENCED WITH A GRADE OF ZERO ON THIS EXAM. IF YOU CITE ANY OTHER RESOURCE OR USE ANYONE ELSE’S IDEAS YOU SHOULD PROVIDE A PROPER REFERENCE AT THE END OF YOUR ESSAY. AT LEAST THE NAME OF AUTHOR, WORK TITLE, JOURNAL OR MAGAZINE NAME, AND URL IF TAKEN FROM A WEBSITE.
PART I: FILL-IN-THE-BLANK (WORTH 2 POINTS EACH, PLEASE DO ALL THE ITEMS.)
DROP DEAD DUE: Midnight (end of the day) Saturday June 28th 2014
1. The ____________ Law is the hypothesis shown with a graph of the quality of task performance that forms an inverted U-shaped function. There is an optimum level of arousal (activation) for doing tasks.
2. The ______________ is the brain structure primarily responsible for hunger.
3. Whether an individual’s sexual and emotional attraction is directed toward members of the same sex, members of the opposite sex, or both sexes is called his or her sexual _________________________.
4. According to Erikson’s theory, in middle childhood (ages 6-12) a sense of competence corresponds to self-confidence and feelings of inability and ineptitude correspond to __________.
5. You are trapped in the airport in St. Louis. Your late night flight to the East Coast has been cancelled and you are stuck until morning. You would be best advised to use __________ strategies to cope with your predicament rather than trying to “fix” it.
6. Piaget held that the ability to conserve mass and volume (can pass the test of conservation) is a characteristic sign that a child has entered the ____________ stage.
7. ____________ is an example of a hormone that plays a role in the “fight-or-flight” response to stress.
8. Formal operational thought is characterized by the ability to ____________ events in their head and usually allows them to start making better choices according to Piaget.
9. Six year old Maggie can hide her mother’s shoes and enjoy watching her look for them frantically. She can play a trick like this because she has developed the theory of ________, the understanding that other people possess a different perspective than her.
10. Maslow believed that all people are born with a desire to _______________; that all people are fundamentally motivated to achieve and make use of their full potential. This usually comes after their lower needs are met on the hierarchy.
11. Reduced mental functioning and effectiveness resulting from prolonged exposure to chronic stress and perhaps never taking time off work is called _____________.
12. ___________ is the hormone that is present in mammals, which produces male anatomical features and associated with elevated levels of aggression.
13. The three stages of Seyle’s General Adapation Syndrome model of the physical reaction to stress are _________, _________ and _____________.
14. According to Freud, the _____ is the part of our personalities that contains all our survival-oriented, instinctual drives. The other components of our personality must keep it in check, yet satisfied.
15. An example of a “former” mental illness (a human behavior or state that was once considered a disorder and is now no longer held to be such in the DSM-V) is _______________.
16. __________ are prototypical beliefs about how all members of certain social groups act and act as less-accurate social shortcuts.
17. A psychotherapist who utilizes the psychological principles of Freud in his or her treatment planning is said to have a(n) ___________________ orientation. THE ANSWER “FREUDIAN” IS WORTH 0 POINTS. C’MON.
18. Freud believed that people developed personalities through their progression through ___________________ stages.
19. The 20th century psychiatrist (still alive) who proposed that the notion of mental illness is merely a Sociocultural “myth” is _______________.
20. ________________ is an example of a therapy for phobias and anxiety that is based on principles of behaviorism and especially classical conditioning.
21. A false system of beliefs (such as of persecution or grandeur) that is characteristic of certain psychoses is called a _________________.
22. This is a psychotic disorder that features hallucinations, delusions, and gross disorganization of personality. It is manageable with anti-psychotic drugs, therapy and other psychosocial interventions ___________________.
23. In the famous Pygmalion in the Classroom (Rosenthal) experiment, the students who were arbitrarily labeled to be high performing late bloomers excelled because_____________________________________.
24. Name a psychological scientist who proposes that there are “universal” innate emotions that are recognizable by facial expressions across all human cultures. ______________________ Name one of those emotions. ____________.
25. Darla is a chronic liar but she always accuses everyone else of not telling the truth. Darla is most likely employing the defense mechanism known as _______________.
26. According to Freud, our behavior is driven by our _________, or sexual energy.
27. Changing your behavior to fit in with a group is called ______________, which is encouraged in many cultures.
28. The Swiss psychologist _______________ described the stages of cognitive development in children by studying his own children.
29. _____________ are generally more reactionary than moods, have a shorter duration, and an evident cause, but you can use your cognitive processing to override it and not let it control you.
30. For repetitive, mundane tasks, it would be more beneficial to _____________ your arousal to get a better performance.
31. _________________ is the relatively stable way a person thinks, feels, and behaves in all situations. This allows us to make predictions about how people should respond to certain situations.
32. Drive theory, instinct theory, and incentive theory are all major theories explaining human _____________.
33. The process of venting painful emotions, thoughts, and feelings, called _______________, has been shown to be NOT an effective stress-coping strategy.
34. 15% of the population will experience ______________, which is why it’s considered the “common cold” of psychiatry.
35. __________________ is difficult and often ineffective in the long-term because starvation was a constant threat to our ancestors and the rate at which we burn food (metabolism) remains after we stop.
36. According to the _____________ within Psychology, we should seek to become our best self.
37. The theory for one’s body weight that could best be summed up using the formula: calories in : calories out = body weight is called ____________
38. In order for someone to be diagnosed with a _____________, the mental health professional must address how the condition is deviant, distressful, and disabling for the individual.
39. A fair amount of _________________ is healthy to get one ready to meet a challenge and provide their best performance, but too much or too little might cause problems.
40. Extreme views within groups tending to get reinforced leads to group ________________
ESSAYS BEGIN ON NEXT PAGE
PART II: Essay Questions
Please do 1 out of the 13 options. This is worth 50 points each and so should be a substantive piece of writing (about 2 pages double-spaced.).
1. Using examples from ONE of the following topics –
Lifespan Psychosocial Development
Psychopathology (Mental Illness)
Discuss the interaction and contributions of nature (genes/biology/evolution) and nurture (environment).
2. Distinguish between sex and gender. Discuss the contributions of biology and socialization to the formation of sexual behavior and gender identity in modern Western society.
3. Using concepts related to non-verbal cognitive, biological, and language development, describe the process of how we learn to think.
4. Discuss your experience as a teenager in terms of AT LEAST one of the developmental theories reviewed in this portion of the course (Piaget, Erikson, or Marcia). What problems are unique to the life of a late 20th century American adolescent?
5. Define motivation in terms of its most important components. Describe 2 theories of motivation.
6. Discuss hunger in terms of internal and external influences. Describe the possible evolutionary and societal contributions to America’s current difficulties with obesity and eating disorders. Why is dieting a waste of time and so potentially harmful? Describe a realistic program for obtaining and maintaining a healthy (as opposed to mythical ideal) weight.
7. Melucci says – “The social world is partly in our heads, and what goes on in our heads influences our social selves.” To which aspects of social psychology is she referring?
8. Compare and contrast two of the following personality theories AND any associated psychotherapeutic techniques:
9. Describe two well known methods for assessing personality, and also discuss some of the serious problems involved in making such assessments.
10. Describe two (2) of the following classic social psychology experiments:
Stanford Prison Experiment
Festinger’s Cognitive Dissonance Experiment
Asch’s Conformity Study
Milgram’s Obedience to Authority experiment
Langer’s ROTC Pilot Experiment
Lewin’s study of Leadership styles
“Pygmalion in the Classroom” (Rosenthal & Jacobson)
The Riceville, Iowa Prejudice Experiment (“Brown Eyes/Blue Eyes” – Jane Elliot)
Be sure to describe the results and what these results suggest about human behavior.
11. Define and differentiate between stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination. How does prejudice influence social behavior?
12. Summarize and evaluate the view that mental illness is, at least in part, a cultural phenomenon based on the evidence presented by the instructor and in your textbook.
13.Describe what is known about one of the Axis I or Axis II mental illnesses that is currently diagnosed and treated in our society. What are the symptoms and the prognosis on the person’s ability to return to a “normal” life? What are the most successful treatments available to date?
EXTRA CREDIT OPTION
Worth 10 points – please give it a try!
A. Now that you have been enlightened in the whys and ways of human behavior, recall a time when you were faced with a challenging personal situation. How has what you have learned in this class helped you to understand that situation more clearly?
B. Discuss how well the concepts and theories of human development, which we have just learned about, describe your own experiences or those of people you know well? Give ONE specific example of an event or trend in your own or someone else’s life that illustrates how the concept/theory fits or fails to explain the experience.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT ?
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.