intellectual foundations of social theory.
COURSE: MC52014A Intellectual Foundations of Social
AUTUMN TERM 2014
SUBMISSION DATE: 4pm Wednesday 17 December 2014 online (via the VLE)
LENGTH: 2,000 words (please note that visiting students are required to submit a 1500 word essay directly to the Media & Communications Departmental Office by Thursday 4 December)
EXAMINED ESSAY QUESTIONS
Answer one of the following:
1. To what extent do Enlightenment principles like freedom, universalism and empiricism inform our understanding of contemporary cultural processes?
2. Marx writes that when an object is turned into a commodity, ‘it is changed into something transcendent’. Discuss this claim in relation to media objects.
3. Compare and contrast the differences between Marx and Weber’s understanding of the importance of social stratification.
4. Drawing on Weber’s metaphor of an ‘iron cage’, discuss the ways in which modern society has been ‘rationalised’ and ‘bureaucratised’.
5. According to Simmel, fashion is a social process and a product of class distinction. Discuss in relation to contemporary fashion movements.
6. What does Durkheim’s analysis of social solidarity tell us about the reproduction of contemporary societies?
7. Discuss the fundamental characteristics of media power and assess its relationship to other forms of power.
8. Evaluate the role of media in the ‘performance’ of gender.
9. Do you agree with the argument that ‘postmodernism describes the emergence of a society in which the mass media and popular culture are the most important and powerful institutions, and control and shape all other types of social relationships’ (Strinati, 2004: 205)?
10. Giving examples, explain how the media are involved in the cultural construction of ‘race’.
11. Economic globalisation is possible while cultural globalisation is not. Discuss.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT ?
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.