Theory and Practice of TESOL
What should a teacher of ESOL take into account when teaching spoken language?
Base your answer on your own context and consider:
• the learner – why are they learning English? Age? Social, cultural and economic conditions etc.
• the context – where? Role of English in the society etc.,
• role of the first language and English inside and outside the classroom
• current teaching approaches, the curriculum, text books, teaching resources – what is the position of spoken language
In this assignment you need to demonstrate close reading of the set readings and should draw on your experience, if any, of learning and / or teaching a English or
Guidelines – Assignment 1
Section 1 (500 – 700 words)
a. Describe your learners – their age, their language level, educational background, any significant social /cultural / economic factors. Anything else that may have
an impact on their English language learning. Why are your particular students learning English? What are their goals?
b. Describe the learning and teaching context – where is the teaching taking place? A school / college / private institution / university? What are the characteristics
of the institution – eg, is it state or private funded?
What is the role of English in the society of the class you describe? Is it the official language? Or language of instruction? Is it a second or foreign language? If
the latter, what is the ‘value’ of English?
a. What are the characteristics of spoken language? What are the differences between spoken and written language? What are the implications of the differences between
spoken and written language? (700 words) Refer to readings.
b. Describe how English language is taught. What are the preferred methodologies / teaching approaches in your school / college etc? What are your preferred
approaches? What is the position of spoken language in your teaching approach? Do you teach all the macro-skills (speaking, listening, reading, writing) equally? (700)
Refer to readings
c. Describe the curriculum and / or textbook that you use – give examples if possible and review critically, eg, what is your opinion.
d. Describe and give examples of your teaching materials / resources. (C+D 500)
013121 – assignment 1
One way of setting out your assignment:
Give an overview of your essay – you may wish to point out a particular issue that you will be addressing.
The Profile of the Learners and their reasons for Learning English
• Describe your learners – their age, their language level, educational background, any significant social /cultural / economic factors.
• Anything else that may have an impact on their English language learning.
• Why are your particular students learning English?
• What are their goals?
Context and the role of English in the society : The role of [language] and English inside and outside the classroom
• Is English the language of the community outside of the classroom?
• If yes, do the students use English outside of the classroom or do they use L1?
• Is English a subject in a course or is it taught as an ELF / EAL / EIL or EFL?
• What is the status of English in this context? Is it used outside of the classroom? Where and what for?
Context of the teaching course
• Describe the learning and teaching context – where is the teaching taking place? A school / college / private institution / university?
• What are the characteristics of the institution – eg, is it state or private funded?
Teaching spoken language
• Discuss characteristics of spoken language
• Discuss the differences between spoken and written language – what are the implications for teaching? You may wish to refer to the teaching materials you use here –
do they reflect authentic spoken language?
• What makes speaking and listening difficult or not?
• Describe how English language is taught in your particular context – you may include the role of the teacher, the role of the students and the teaching resources
• Which are the preferred methodologies /teaching approaches in your school /college etc?
• Which are your preferred approaches?
• How important is spoken language in your teaching approach?
• What is the role of L1 in the classroom?
• Do you teach all the macro-skills (speaking, listening, reading, writing) equally?
Teaching materials: curriculum and / textbook
• Describe the curriculum and / or textbook that you use – give examples if possible and review critically, eg, what is your opinion.
• Describe and give examples of your teaching materials / resources.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT ?
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.