Project: Pomegranate Juice – Part-1
Big Kola Company has been concerned that specialized fruit drinks have been eroding their cola
market. The CEO mandates that “If you can’t beat them, join them.” Grape juice was the first product
that was successful after an advertising blitz claiming the antitoxin benefits. Lately, competition is
compressing grape juice margins and profits. Months of additional market surveys and focus groups
have resulted in three potential high-margin drinks: cranberry, blueberry, and pomegranate. All these
choices represent antitoxins. The decision is to produce the pomegranate drink that has many health
claims. For example, the relative ability of these juices to eliminate harmful free radicals (antitoxins) is
71 percent for pomegranate, 33 percent for blueberry, and 20 percent for cranberry. The market
potential appears very attractive and should have a higher profit margin than the other potential juice
products. Another appeal for pomegranate juice is its familiarity in the Middle East and Asia.
You, the project manager, have formed your project team and the members have come up with
the following WBS (work breakdown structure). Pay attention to the “indentation” in the WBS.
1. Pomegranate Juice Project
2. R&D product development
3. Need survey
4. Set product specs
5. Shelf life report
6. Nutrition report
7. Select fruit suppliers
8. Initial Production
9. Equipment rehab
10. Production trials
11. Quality trials
12. Quality metrics
13. Quality training
15. Market testing
16. Package design
17. Select distributors
19. Complete FDA certification
20. Register trademark
21. Prepare product launch
The Table below gives the important information derived from the WBS.
1. The task (activity) numbers are what appear in ProjectLibre after the complete WBS is entered.
2. Notice that Items 1, 2, 8, 14, and 18 are NOT project activities in CPM Network, because they do not
have project durations (times) associated with them.
Task No. Activity Name Duration(days) Predecessor
3 Need survey 20 None
4 Set product specs 15 3
5 Shelf life report 10 4
6 Nutrition report 5 4
7 Select fruit suppliers 20 5; 6
9 Equipment rehab 30 4
10 Production trials 15 7; 9
11 Quality trials 20 10
12 Quality metrics 5 11
13 Quality training 15 12
15 Market testing 30 5; 6
16 Package design 15 15
17 Select distributors 25 5; 6
19 Complete FDA certification 15 7; 15
20 Register trademark 5 7; 15
21 Prepare product launch 15 13; 16; 17; 19FS+25 days; 20FS+15 days
*FS = Finish to Start Lag
Note: Separate the predecessors using semi colon “;”
PART-1 – The Basic ProjectLibre Schedule
“ProjectLibre is the open source replacement of Microsoft Project. It has been downloaded over 1,000,000
times in over 210 countries. ProjectLibre was awarded ComputerWorld’s “Best of Open Source” software.”
1. Download and install ProjectLibre. The latest version is 1.6.2. I have posted both files on Blackboard. But you
can also download directly from the source. Here is the information.
If you use a Windows machine you can download the “projectlibre-1.6.2.msi” file at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/projectlibre/files/ProjectLibre/1.6.2 and install it.
If you have an Apple machine, You WILL download the “projectlibre-1.6.2.dmg” file
Note for MAC User:
ProjectLibre requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later.
• Versions 10.7.3+, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10 with or without Java already installed: download projectlibre-1.6.2.dmg. It comes with Java7 embedded.
• Versions 10.7.3+, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10 with java7 already installed: download projectlibre-1.6.2.dmg or
• Versions <=10.7.2: download projectlibre-java6-1.6.2.dmg. • Note for 10.5: You have to update to 10.5.7+. Make sure java updates have been installed (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL848). Then select Java 6 as default in /Applications/Utility/Java Preferences. After finish installing ProjectLibre, you are now ready to do the project. READ the 5-part Tutorials. To help you get started, I record a video showing you how to input the project WBS into ProjectLibre. There are also many video tutorials on Youtube. Just google it. The User Guide for ProjectLibre (v.0.3.3 September 9, 2014) is on Blackboard and on this website: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B08DRNpPMjwJenZPUW9Qb293SWs/view?pli=1 2. Please study the 5-part Tutorial and my video before doing this project. 3. Develop the WBS outline using ProjectLibre. 4. Use the information provided in the table above to create a project schedule. 5. The following holidays are observed: January 1, Martin Luther King Day (third Monday in January), Memorial Day (last Monday in May), Independence Day (July 4 th ), Labor Day (first Monday in September), Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday in November), December 25 and 26. (Set these dates as NON-WORKING TIME USING “CALENDAR” on the top menu. Do this for calendar years 2015 and 2016. 6. If a holiday falls on a Saturday then Friday will be given as an extra day off, and if it falls on a Sunday then Monday will be off. 7. The project team works eight-hour days, Monday through Friday. This is the default setting; you don’t need to do anything. 8. The project begins on December 1, 2015. (Check the box: “FORWARD SCHEDULE.”) Caution: The date on my video is different from this date. 9. SAVE this ProjectLibre file (.pod) using this file name convention: “Your-Last-Name”-POMEGRANATE-1 Important Hints: 1. To input the FS-Lag (Finish-to-Start Lag) for Task id #21 – Click “TASK” and click on “Prepare product launch (id#21).” In the opened window, click predecessor and enlarge the window. Now you can see the FS-Lag option. In the very last column add 25 days and 15 days on predecessor tasks id#19 and #20, respectively. 2. As a check for correctness, the estimated duration of the project is 135 days. Remember: Save your files! Questions for Part-1 (10 points): Based on ProjectLibre schedule, answer the following questions: Q1. When is the project estimated to be completed (date)? Q2. How many working days will it take? Q3. How many critical paths are there? What is (are) the critical path(s)? Q4. Which activity has the most total slack? Q5. How sensitive is this network? (Hint: Look at how many critical paths you have and look at the slacks. See the bottom of page 174.) THE REPORT FILE: For Part-1: In the report file (MS-Word or pdf), type the answers to questions Q1-Q5. You also need to include the following 3 items in the WORD file below your Q1-Q5 answers: Ø The screenshots (or image copy) of a. The Gantt chart. b. The network diagram highlighting the critical path. c. The CPM-schedule table reporting ES, EF, LS, LF, and slack for each activity. • To produce the CPM-Schedule, use: View – Report – Task information – Schedule CPM. • To produce the screen shots, use “Prnt Scrn” and Paste in your report (Use “Zoom-out” to make the chart smaller) and cut irrelevant information from the screenshot. • You can also save the screen you are viewing to a pdf file by clicking “FILE” Menu and then the “pdf” button to save it on your hard drive. You can then Copy/Paste the image on the pdf file to the WORD file. Name this WORD file: “Your-Last-Name”-POMEGRANATE-Report Part 2: Project Resource Remember the old saying, “A project plan is not a schedule until resources are committed.” Part-2 of this project illustrates this sometime subtle, but important point. Open (if it’s not already open) the ProjectLibre file from Part-1, input resources and their costs. All information needed is found in the following two tables. Please first READ Project Libre 5-Part-Tutorial Part-2 (Resources section) and Part-3. This tutorial will explain how to input the resources and costs. Another good tutorial on youtube is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPVbZ_XNGdA • Important: Before inputting the resources, SAVE the same “.pod” file created in Part 1 right away using the following name: Your-Last-Name-POMEGRANATE-2 (so that you will not override and lose the previous file) • To input the resources: click Resources (top menu) and then the left-big button “Resources.” Now input the information given in the first table. To assign resources: first click: “TASK” on the top menu. Then, click on each task and click on “Assign Resources” on the top menu. A window will open to let you assign resources. The resource assignment information is in the second table. • IMPORTANT: After assigning resources to the tasks, ProjectLibre changes the “DURATIONS” automatically and hence the completion time is NOT 135 days anymore. YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO THE COLUMN “DURATION” AND CHANGE THE NUMBERS BACK TO THOSE GIVEN IN THE FIRST TABLE. You will see that the completion time will be back to 135 days. • Save this ProjectLibre file (.pod) again as: “YOUR-LAST-NAME”-Pomegranate-2. Ø Now answer the following question: Q6. Which if any of the resources are over-allocated? To answer this question, make sure you are on Gannt chart view. Click on Histogram and view the graph for each resource. Use “Zoom In” and “Zoom out” to get a clearer picture of the histogram. Write down your answer to Q6 in the previous report file: Your-Last-Name-POMEGRANATE-Report Table of Resources: Resource Abbrev Available Hourly Rate Marketing Staff MRKT 5 (500%) $ 80/hr R&D R&D 5 (500%) $ 80/hr Engineering ENG 10 (1,000%) $100/hr Purchasing PURCH 2 (200%) $ 60/hr Quality Engineers QUAL 3 (300%) $ 80/hr Designers DESIGN 3 (300%) $ 60/hr Legal Staff LEGAL 3 (300%) $120/hr Production PROD 20 (2,000%) $ 60/hr Activity Resources Need survey MRKT (500%) Set product Specs MRKT (200%), R&D (400%) Shelf Life Report R&D (300%) Nutrition Report R&D (300%) Select Fruit Suppliers PURCH (100%) Equipment Rehab ENG (1,000%), PROD (2,000%) Production Trials ENG (1,000%), PURCH (100%), PROD (1,500%) Quality Trials QUAL (300%), PROD (500%) Quality Metrics QUAL (300%), PROD (100%) Quality Training QUAL (300%), PROD (1,500%) Market Testing MRKT (500%) Package Design MRKT (100%), DESIGN (300%) Select Distributors MRKT (500%) Complete FDA Certification LEGAL (300%) Register Trademark LEGAL (300%) Prepare Product Launch QUAL (300%), PURCH (200%), PROD (1,500%), MRKT (500%), ENG (500%), R&D (100%) Ø What to turn in for your project: Email these three (3) files as attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading: “Your-Last-Name-Pomegranate Project” The three (3) files are: 1. Your-Last-Name-POMEGRANATE-1.pod (The ProjectLibre File Part-1) 2. Your-Last-Name-POMEGRANATE-2.pod (The ProjectLibre File Part-2 – with resources) 3. Your-Last-Name-POMEGRANATE.docX (MSWORD file or pdf file – the report file contains answers to Q1-Q6 and charts)
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.